Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 opens shortly after the events of the first film. Peter Quill AKA Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), and Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) have been hired by a race known as The Sovereign to protect some of their most important assets…which Rocket quickly steals. While on the run, the group meets Ego (Kurt Russell), who reveals himself to be Peter’s long-lost father. If that’s not enough, Ego is also a “Celestial,” giving him the power to spread life throughout the universe. It’s not a big surprise that Peter would want to go off and learn more about his father, but the group must stay aware, as The Ravagers, led by Yondu (Michael Rooker) are in pursuit.
With James Gunn once again in the director’s chair, it seems as though Marvel took an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach to this sequel. The characters audiences grew to love are accounted for, and some new ones–the aforementioned Ego, and his servant Mantis (Pom Klementieff), etc.,—who add a new dimension to story, while keeping the humor intact. So while the sequel might not have the same sense of magic as its predecessor, it succeeds in creating, a bigger, somewhat darker universe filled with characters I can’t wait to visit again.
Presented in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, Marvel’s first 4K disc looks stunning. The image is sharp and clear throughout, showing no apparent grain or defects from the source materials. The colors look appropriate, and the level of detail is excellent. The special effects truly shine.
The film offers a 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround soundtrack, both of which deliver a phenomenal audio experience. The 7.1 Dolby Atmos presentation provides some real boom. The mix is well balanced throughout, and effects are varied. Surround sound is fully utilized throughout, and dialogue is clean and clear.
English SDH, French, Spanish, Japanese, French, German, Cantonese, and Mandarin subtitles are included.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 comes with the Blu-ray edition, an UltraViolet Digital Copy and a “Guardians Inferno” poster. The 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray disc contains no extras, they are all on the standard Blu-ray as follows:
- Audio Commentary with Director James Gunn
- Bonus Round: The Making of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (HD, 37:39) A four part featurette which includes:
- In the Director’s Chair with James Gunn: A look at at the director, and his commitment to the Guardians
- Reunion Tour: The Music of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: A look at the music, and how it differs from the first film.
- Living Planets and Talking Trees: The Visual Effects of 2: A look at one of the most important elements of the film.
- Showtime: The Cast of 2: A look at the cast, including new characters Ego, Mantis, and Ayesha.
- Guardians “Inferno” Music Video (HD, 3:35) featuring The Sneepers and David Hasselhoff.
- Gag Reel (HD, 3:41)
- Deleted Scenes (HD, 5:04)
Movie title: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Director(s): James Gunn
Actor(s): Chris Pratt , Zoe Saldana , Dave Bautista , Vin Diesel , Bradley Cooper Michael Rooker
Genre: Adventure, Sci-fi, Comic Book, Action, Comedy